Well, I’m loving getting back into sound. However, not being a single kid any more, I can’t just go out and blow my paycheck like I once did. My family is in the habit of eating. Therefore, in the building of my studio, I have to cut corners…for now. SO, I made my own pop-filters for about $1.50 money-wise and 5 minutes of time.
They are permanent enough not to be a hassle, but can be replaced
whenever I am able to do better.
For the uninitiated, a pop-filter is just a screen of some sort between a vocalist and a microphone. It slows down the air leaving the lungs just enough to cut down or eliminate plosives (“p-pops”) and excess sibilance (“s” sounds) in a recording. Most dynamic microphones have a minimal filter built in, but a condenser mike, such as would be used to capture high-quality, high-definition vocals in a studio does not. Get it? 🙂
I have a couple of pretty good microphones now, but didn’t have the money to purchase some cool professional pop-filters from a retailer like this:
It is simple enough–I won’t bother doing a huge guide on it. Get a needle-point hoop from a sewing supply store or Walmart or what-have-you. I went to Joann’s Fabrics and paid $1.42 each. Grab some plyers, some ladies’ stockings, a few zip ties, and a short length of 10 (ish, your choice) gauge copper wire. For the wire, I had some left over from building the house.
Take apart the hoop.
And put the smaller ring all the way to the toe of the stocking. Take a moment to get the seam straight on the side of the ring (so it doesn’t show–you don’t want this to look STUPID, do you!?!?!?)
Tie a knot and pull it tight.
Cut off the excess.
And place the top ring over it, putting the knot in the split. Don’t tighten it down just yet.
Bend a hook in the end of the copper wire.
Place it around the tightening screw and smash the hook as closed as possible…not crazy, just a bit. Now tighten down the screw. Since we used 10-gauge wire, it clamps it in there nicely. A higher gauge might not be thick enough.
Model it to the mic stand, but put a “U” shaped bend in the end. That way it will be easier to hold in place with the zips.
And literally, two or three zip ties will be all it takes.
Best part, I can replace the stocking if needed, or nip the ties completely and throw the whole thing away when the time comes. If you look around a bit with Google you can find some more elaborate plans for this kind of thing–it certainly isn’t original from me. HOWEVER, I think this is about as simple as it gets (without employing a wire hanger and duct tape).
OH yeah, check out www.wcsaga.com, I will probably be posting about it in more detail. Later.